War and boycotts: what’s next?

Image courtesy www.albanyadvertiser.com.au

Everyone has their morning routine, but many have to have their morning coffee to function throughout the day.

Starbucks has been around for many years and is many coffee drinker’s all-time favorite coffee place. Things changed after one of Starbucks’ locations in Philadelphia started saying they supported Palestine in the recent war against Israel. The Starbucks Corporation planned on staying unbiased in the war until this location came out saying they were standing with Palestine.

Many customers were unhappy with this, which led to one of Starbucks’ corporate EVPs (employee value proposition) and Chief Partner officer reaching out to tell them to stop using the brand name and to take down the post.  They were upset about the union speaking out because the corporation was staying unbiased and was stating that they do not support the violence that is happening in the Gaza Strip. 

The Starbucks location rejected their request, which led to corporate filing a Federal Court hearing against the Starbucks union.

There are many reasons why people are boycotting Starbucks. People were unhappy that the corporation was so mad about the location post and how hard they were on the union. Others were upset because of the post by the union.  Customers were unhappy with the fact that the union was getting involved in the war and were saying who they supported.

There was a union made after this that was named Starbucks Workers United. After the corporation took the union to court Starbucks workers united took the corporation to court.

This did not only affect Starbucks, it also led to people wanting to boycott McDonald’s because an Israeli McDonald’s said they were giving away free meals for Israeli soldiers. Also, Disney was not unaffected, because they said they supported Israel. The Hilltop has an article talking about students at Howard University boycotting Starbucks and McDonald’s and having a “chalk the block” in support of Palestine. 

These boycotts have been happening left and right because many people are upset that major companies are choosing sides in the Israel vs. Hamas war. 

It leads to many companies losing regular customers and taking a toll on their profits. This is happening all over the United States with businesses that share the same name but haven’t done anything related to the other unions.

“There’s a genocide happening and the CEO is going to give money to support that,” Natalia Aguallo, a junior at Fremont High School said. “The fact that people are like ‘I want a frappuccino, I don’t know’. Is a coffee worth killing people? Imagine that being your family.” 

Many have changed the things that they do in their lives, such as getting coffee in the morning, grabbing lunch at McDonald’s, and even canceling Disney Plus subscriptions.

Some are appalled about everything because they don’t see how it is people’s business what others support and should just go about their lives and not cause problems. 

This has affected people all over the world whether they are in Israel, Palestine, or here in the United States. 

The boycotts however have been working for Starbucks as their prices have gone up 13 cents and McDonald’s has been up eight percent over the last month. 

Now, whether they should voice their opinion as a whole company is still in the air. Some agree, some don’t, all people have a right to their own opinion but some are still more upset that people are dictating what others think.

Businesses are now trying to watch what they say hoping they won’t get mixed up in the whole ordeal.