The Truth behind the Peanut Butter Crunch McFlurry and their McService

I was wet, hungry and hot. Not the best place to be when waiting for someone to take your order. My family and I were originally answered by a lovely robot lady that, apparently, did not understand their own menu.

When asking to order the new “Peanut Butter Crunch McFlurry,” we instead ordered 2 butters and 1 packet of ranch. We tried to correcting the order by saying, “No, one Peanut Butter crunch Mcflurry.” The order “corrected” to 3 butters and 2 packets of ranch. Much to my family’s amusement this still wasn’t what we ordered, and my anger was being egged on by my own hunger.

The Peanut Butter Crunch McFlurry. PHOTO: MCDONALD’S

Instead of arguing with the robot-lady, we waited 2 minutes to be answered by a human being. He begrudgingly took our order in a monotone voice and directed us to pull up to the first window. After paying the almost criminal price, we were finally given our food. 

At first glance, the food seemed nothing like what was visually depicted on the menu, something common to fast food restaurants. However, the “Peanut Butter Crunch McFlurry” was sweet, buttery and tasted delicious like any ice cream, and the peanut butter crunch tasted like Reese’s peanut butter. The cool treat had plenty of toppings throughout the whole cup and was crunchier than any Reese’s ice cream I’ve had.

Unfortunately, the ice cream and toppings were poorly blended and seemed like there was not nearly enough ice cream in the cup for the almost $5 my mother paid. As far as pricing and taste are concerned, I would say that there are better alternatives. Though for a quick ice cream treat it is a good choice.

Aside from the ordering fiasco, the employees were quick and made the actual drive thru wait a breeze. However, improvements could have been made on their attitudes. I had the feeling I was unwelcomed, making it an awkward and almost socially painful experience. I forgive them though because of the high pressure put on service workers and how busy the restaurant was that day. 

All in all, I am not the pickiest eater and enjoyed my fast food experience. In reality the experience was very quick, and the food was somewhat well made — and interacting with the robot voice will always be an amusing memory. 

The “Peanut Butter Crunch McFlurry” was released in participating locations on Aug. 9 for a limited time. Though there are better options, if you are curious, check it out before it’s too late — that’s if the ice cream machine is actually working.