The Student News Site of Fremont High School

The Tiger's Eye

The Tiger's Eye

The Tiger's Eye

7 jokes Jo Koy could’ve made that were actually funny and not misogynistic

Image credits: Getty Images & CBS

The recent controversy followed after the 2024 Golden Globes has taken over almost every social media platform. When comedian Jo Koy hosted the Golden Globes on Jan. 7, he stunned the world, unsure if it was in a good way. 

Amidst little chuckles and bright hopes of an entertaining night, celebrity actors and at-home viewers alike were filled with excitement as they eagerly awaited the moment when their favorite 2023 movies would earn their well-deserved awards. 

Tables turned when the first misogynistic joke was punched into the audience. “‘Oppenheimer’ is based on a 721-page Pulitzer Prize-winning book about the Manhattan Project, and ‘Barbie’ is on a plastic doll with big boobies.”

Fast forward a few minutes and Koy was already throwing jokes about singer-songwriter Taylor Swift. Koy turned the gig into a free rein open mic show leading him to make a mocking comment about Swift’s love life and career. 

I’ve taken up the task of rewriting some of Jo Koy’s jokes in the hopes that he may understand the true essence of comedy – one that doesn’t rely on belittling women and promoting misogyny to his millions of viewers. 

1.  ‘Oppenheimer’ is based on a 721-page book about the Manhattan Project, and ‘Barbie’ is about a woman with 721 jobs.
  2. I mean, just take a look at all the amazing movies we have getting awards here tonight. We have this wonderful piece based on one of the most important times in history, it was life-changing. Oh, and Oppenheimer came out too. 
  3. Although they seem extremely different from one another, “Barbie’ and “Oppenheimer’ actually have much more in common than we think. They both convey a story about white men destroying the lives of countless people!
  4. Only one of these movies made me rethink my entire life, and it was not the one with the bomb in it! 
  5. If you were like me, watching ‘Barbie’ and “Oppenheimer’ in one day, you would realize how quickly things can go wrong when men are left alone for five minutes. 
  6. ‘Barbie’ and ‘Oppenheimer’, one is about man-made horrors beyond our comprehension, and the other has Albert Einstein.” 
  7. “Why did Oppenheimer and Barbie break up? Because Oppenheimer was trying to spilt an atom while Barbie was trying to solve real-world problems. It seems like their interests just didn’t collide.” 

Although his job is to make people laugh, it seems like Jo Koy and many other comedians need a reminder that comedy should never be used as a tool to promote misogyny or belittle any individual or group. It is crucial for comedians to understand the power of their words and the impact they have on their audience.