New slam poetry competition offers another experience for students in the fine arts

Students interested in the fine arts now have another opportunity to participate at FHS through a slam poetry competition named “All Writes Reserved.”

“Once a week, a professional, Lindsey Assman, comes down and helps the kids write slam poetry – in the spring they will compete,” Jennifer Ramsey, an English teacher, said. “It is just one event, slam poetry. They work as a team and individuals.” 

Ramsey and Blake Hughes, another English teacher, decided to start this program because of their love for slam poetry. Ramsey and Hughes have a history of performing slam poetry at Wayne State College. 

“Creative writing is amazing. Mr. Hughes and I met during a poetry slam we competed in during college. It’s our roots,” Ramsey said.

“All Writes Reserved” allows students to express themselves on a public stage through spoken-word performance. Members write poems about whatever they want, often about their own personal experiences or emotions, and then perform them in front of an audience.

“I love the new experience it gives me for the real world of speaking, but also expressing myself,” senior Sara Ehlers said.

For senior James Ebel, writing poetry has provided an opportunity to express themselves.

“I joined because I love writing poetry. It’s a medium I’ve been using for a long time,” Ebel said. “I find it very easy to convey emotion through poetry.” 

Members also learn about different forms of poetry. The professionals, with help from Ramsey and Hughes, teach them various forms of this artistic expression.

“It makes me excited for what comes next. They have us explore many different types of poetry in this group along with different points of view,” Ehlers said.

The opportunity for students to create and perform poetry on a competitive level also allows audience members to learn more about poetry.

“Poetry is a highly underrated form of art,” Ebel said. “I have poured a lot of my heart into my poems and the chances I get to perform them is the best feeling in the world.”