Album Review: Djo’s Decide

djomusic.com

After two years of anticipation, Djo has finally decided to release his new album “Decide.” Djo, the musical project of Joe Keery (a name recognizable from hit show “Stranger Things”), has created a blend of psychedelic rock and 80’s pop to reflect on his journey through his twenties. The album was released on Sept. 16.

Djo uses an eclectic bunch of sounds to create his music. The album features lots of synth, along with bass and drums, to create a nostalgic sound. There is a lot more experimentation from this album with the different sounds than in the last one “Twenty Twenty.

I personally really enjoyed this album. The lyrics are so interesting to listen to and examine, and they reveal a lot about Djo and his feelings. My favorite song was “End of Beginning”, which is arguably his most personal song. Keery discusses how he spent a lot of time in Chicago before moving to work on “Stranger Things”: “And when I’m back in Chicago I feel it / Another version of me I was living”.

The vulnerability carries throughout the lyrics on all thirteen of the newly released songs, providing an inside, personal look onto Keery and how he has dealt with the fame and growing up. In my opinion, the album is wonderful, and I loved listening to every second of it.