The Student News Site of Fremont High School

The Tiger's Eye

The Tiger's Eye

The Tiger's Eye

Kickin’ it with Kinning

Allison Ramirez

Success in the ring consists of consistency, drive, power and time according to one of Fremont High’s athletes.

After six long years of hard work and dedication, senior Mackenzie Kinning has risen to the high stakes in Fremont High’s track program.

“Mackenzie is one of the hardest workers I’ve seen,” head throwing coach Patrick Beyer said. “She is very hard on herself and demands perfection every day. She never cuts corners and always does her best.”

Kinning originally started throwing in seventh grade as a way to follow in her mother’s footsteps when she attended high school.

Although Kinning placed third with a 39’7 ¾ mark and PR (personal record), as an individual, at state last 2021 season, the Tiger’s made Fremont history by bringing home a state title.

“Technique is a huge factor when it comes to throwing,” Kinning said, “and I am working really hard this year to qualify [for state] again my senior year.”

After the beginning of the pandemic in 2020, many athletes were robbed of a year’s worth of work and competition but that did not hold Kinning back.

“As a sophomore, her season was cut short because of COVID, so we really needed her to progress quickly coming into her junior year,” Beyer said. “She worked very hard and did so well and although this season she got a late start, she has quickly got her form back and now we are looking for big things from her.”

As the season plays out and begins to come to an end Kinning gives thanks to her mentors for the past six years.

“I appreciate every team that I have been a part of these last four years,” Kinning said. “Each one has taught me so much and I am excited for my future and will continue to work hard to achieve my goals.”

Kinning will attend Wayne State College in Wayne, NE to further continue her education and track career. She plans to major in elementary education.