A jack of all trades

via Getty images

With the start of a new league year steadily approaching, teams are taking stock. Certain players are on the move, but at what price? In pro sports, trades are a common occurrence with multiple stars in each league being rehomed. This offseason will be no different, with big names such as Derrick Henry and Jalen Ramsey already hitting the trade block. But what team will receive these players?

Tennessee Titans running back Derrick Henry was recently being shopped at the NFL combine the previous week. The former all-pro and 2,000-yard rusher is entering his age 29 season. At a position where decline starts at around 26, Henry is not on a team where he can win now. This could lead the Titans to ship him off to a true title contender. A good fit for the NFL’s second leading rushing could be the Miami Dolphins. The Dolphins recently went 9-8, and earned the seventh seed in the AFC playoffs. The Dolphins are in win mode now after the hiring of young coach, Mike McDaniel. Their quarterback, Tua Tagovailoa, was having a stellar year until injuries caught up. Henry is the only player in NFL history to rush for 2,000 yards with a pro bowl lineman. But Miami four-time-pro bowler Terron Armstead is this line’s crown jewel. Miami’s offense would go from a top 7 offense to being as productive as Kansas City’s or San Francisco’s. 

Los Angeles Rams cornerback, Jalen Ramsey, has found himself in an unexpected rebuild. The Rams recently won the 2021-2022 season’s Super Bowl. But now all the trades of picks and manipulating cap space have caught up to them. With a possible career ending injury to their star quarterback, Matthew Stafford, the Rams are in no position to win. The six -time-pro bowler and three-time all-pro, is entering his age 29 season. With defensive players, there usually is no steady decline. Players are playing well and then hit a wall and are done. Due to these circumstances, a team that would be a good fit for him is the Philadelphia Eagles. The most recent Super Bowl loser has a hole at the corner position. After the departure of second-team all-pro James Bradberry and Darius Slay entering his age 32 season, the Eagles may look to get younger. A trade for Ramsey along with drafting a young corner in the draft could revamp this secondary for years to come. 

Green Bay Packers quarterback, Aaron Rodgers, has been quite the drama queen over the past couple seasons. Rodgers signed a four-year 200 million dollar deal with the Packers last offseason. This was after a whole offseason of trade and retirement rumors. But the Packers are finally done and look to move on from Rodgers. Rodgers has stated it’s the New York Jets, the Packers or retirement. The New York Jets went 7-10 in 2022. This was due to horrendous quarterback play. Many believe if the Jets even had average QB play they would be a top AFC contender. The four-time MVP has stated his interest in the Jets, due to multiple top level offensive players. Leading receivers Garrett Wilson and Corey Davis, as well as running back Breece Hall, all had substantial 2022 seasons. With offensive weapons like these, Rodgers may be in for a fifth MVP.