The Student News Site of Fremont High School

The Tiger's Eye

The Tiger's Eye

The Tiger's Eye

Grilled cheese meet burrito

Fast food nirvana

Taco Bell, the establishment best known for inventing some of the best food concepts ever, then managing to find the most chaotic way to assemble them, has just come out with its newest menu item. For many, the inconsistency of the Taco Bell experience somehow brings a sense of peace. I, myself, fall under this category of consumer. Every time there is a new menu item, I slowly raise an eyebrow in anticipation for either the best experience of my life, or an encounter with the most overpriced slop that was ever slapped onto a wrapper. 

So, when I first heard of the Steak and Bacon Grilled Cheese Burrito, I felt validated in being somewhat suspicious. When I hear grilled cheese, I think of tomato soup, buttery toast that crumbles in your hands and the comforting taste of magma-hot plastic cheeses. What I do not think about is how the wonder that is grilled cheese can somehow manage to be transformed into the experience of a burrito. 

Jack Fortney

When I rolled up to the Mecca of after hours food, I knew what I had to do. Upon receiving my order, I was greeted by the tin foil wrapper, with which only the most prestigious of menu items are adorned. Upon seeing the elusive silver wrapper, I immediately knew I was in for a treat. Unwrapping it, I was delighted to see the most beautiful, picturesque burrito to ever originate from Taco Bell. 

Typically, when it comes to presentation, Taco Bell is the last place to come to mind for sufficient representation; yet, I was pleasantly surprised to see something that was attractively presented for once. Its coat had been gently toasted and glazed with melted cheese. My mouth immediately began to water, and I could not resist taking a bite any longer.

After taking the first bite, I was immediately mournful that the presentation of the burrito had been disturbed; but, this feeling was brief because the explosion of flavor hit my mouth and all was forgotten. The combo that is the Steak and Bacon Grilled Cheese Burrito is one of the most baffling yet surprisingly competent ensembles I’ve seen out of a Taco Bell burrito. This cascade of flavor could be attributed to the salty sting of bacon expertly littered among the blend of some of the cheesiest of cheeses and the surprisingly well-cooked steak. I was expecting the steak to attempt to mimic a leather shoe, but instead, I was immersed in an enjoyable fast food alternative to a traditional steak. 

On top of the three-cheese blend within, its cheese coating only fortified its already strong foundation of cheesy goodness. Making it through about a quarter of the burrito, I discovered the delectable delight of potatoes in it as well, overloading this already densely-packed beast even further. This insane combination of beauty and ferocity led to one of the best Taco Bell experiences I have ever had. 

As well as everything previously mentioned, the burrito was also expertly balanced with a blend of sour cream, nacho cheese and chipotle sauce. This made the meat and potatoes pop that much more, adding to the overwhelming amount of textures already inundating my mouth. For part of the burrito, I had to try some Diablo sauce on it, for science of course, and it paired quite well. 

Some may look at this burrito and think that it is the definition of gluttony, but this burrito is simply the prime example of the fact that everything is better together. Nothing can compare to the symphony of ingredients chosen. Ultimately, this may have been my best Taco Bell experience, and coming from someone who frequents the establishment, I would say that’s impressive. I would highly recommend giving the Steak and Bacon Grilled Cheese Burrito a try if you have the opportunity, as you won’t regret it. Since my first encounter with this display of magnificence, I have ordered it several more times, and every single time I am taken in by the same blissful experience.