Actor’s and Writers’ Strike

Imagine this, an aspiring writer after years of hard work finally gets their big break by writing for a Netflix original series. They put their all into the script, trying their best to make a well-written story. In the end their hard work pays off and the series is a big hit, making Netflix millions! Since Netflix profited immensely shouldn’t the writer make a lot of money as well? The obvious answer is yes, but unfortunately that is not the reality for many screenwriters in Hollywood.

The Writers Guild of America West(WGAW) – a labor union representing thousands of writers- began to strike on May 2, 2023 after many disputes with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP). What is the Writers Guild fighting for -besides the obvious salary issue? Well they are making demands of more job security for writers, not being replaced by AI, and better residual payments. Since the Writers’ strike began they have garnered plenty of support from Actors, Comedians, TV hosts, and the general public.

Soon after the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA) began making threats of starting their own strike, making similar demands of that of the writers. Unfortunately for AMPTP the Actors Guild made good on their threat and joined the writers on the picket lines on July 16, 2023. Making it the second time in 40 years that both writers and actors were simultaneously on strike.

Although the general public is used to seeing and hearing about the enormous wealth that actors and writers in Hollywood possess, that is not the case for the majority of writers and actors. Fran Drescher(best known for The Nanny), the president of SAG-AFTRA has stated “..most of our members don’t make $10,000 a year, some don’t make $65,000 a year. Most members are working class…” As mentioned before the writers are seeking better pay and job security, but what exactly are their current working conditions? The film industry has changed a lot over the last decade, and one of the biggest changes is the amount of episodes a show would have per season, with the average show having 6-12 episodes per season compared to to the average of 20-26 it used to be. This has give writers a shorter work schedule and are left scrambling to find their next job. Besides that, they are not paid well in residuals and are paid less even though they now do more work.

Due to both the writers actors being on strike big hits like Stranger Things, Euphoria and the third installment of the Avatar franchise, has now been delayed. According to Makayla Lysiak, an actress and film student at USC, there is an expected rise in different types of entertainment such as reality television and creator content.

This has created the topic of conversation about Hollywood’s future. Although traditional media is losing popularity it has the advantage of being around longer and having more experience. But if Hollywood continues to care solely about money and no longer about the artists and the art. It could lead to Hollywood’s demise.

Recently the WGAW has met up with big studios to discuss a solution, but nothing came of it, so the writers will remain on strike. Although there is still no talk of SAG-AFTRA and AMTP meeting, it is very likely that it would end in the same way it did for the writers. Who knows when the actors and writers will finally be compensated the way they should be.

Update: 

According to L.A. Times, on September 27, 2023 the Writer’s strike officially ended after the Writers Guild of America West came to an tentative agreement with major Hollywood studios. The deal has granted writers in Hollywood higher pay rates, residual payments for steaming shows and enact new rules regarding the use of AI.

“We can say, with great pride, that this deal is exceptional — with meaningful gains and protections for writers in every sector of the membership,” the WGA negotiating committee said.

According to Reuters, on December 5, 2023 SAG-AFTRA agreed to a three year contract with majoy studios, officially ending the five month strike, that has put Hollywood on hold. Similarly to the WGA’s agreement, this deal has granted actors pay raises and streaming bonuses, and according to union leaders this amount adds up to about 1 billion dollars! Guardrails regarding the use of AI have also been put in place. Although, it is important to note that some actors believe that these guardrails are not enough protection.

“This is a golden age for SAG-AFTRA, and our union has never been more powerful,” the union’s president, “The Nanny” actor Fran Drescher, said in a statement.

The strikes that have had Hollywood in a chokehold has finally ended and Hollywood was quick to resume productions on previously delayed projects. With these new regulations in place, there is hope that the rights of both writers and actors will become a priority for Hollywood. Hopefully, this will be the last time a simultaneous actors and writers strike will happen.

L.A. Times

Reuters