Returning state champs take on another season

Getty Images

After winning the state championship on October 23rd 2020, the Fremont High School boys cross country team is running their way into another championship.

The team’s head coach of 25 years, Sean McMahon, says that state is in reach this year as it’s the team’s main goal.

Senior, Carter Waters, says that winning state is absolutely possible.

“Our goal is to win the state championship and we know that last year was last year, but that’s in the past, so we have to go do it again this year,” Waters said.

Last year, there was strong senior leadership that assured McMahon the win could be theirs. This year, according to McMahon, seniors, Junior Garcia, Braden Taylor and Carter Waters have been putting in the work that’s needed to take state.

“Our top two guys so far, Carter and Braden, have technically put in two of the three largest bodies of work of any athlete I’ve ever had,” McMahon said.

Waters makes sure to stay hydrated, eat well and do extra core workouts when he’s not at practice to stay in shape.

“The worst part would be I can’t just go eat raising canes every day, even though if I could I definitely would,” Waters said.

The team practices Monday through Friday and even Saturday mornings when they find time. Every player has a different goal for each practice based on what they need to do to get better. Waters runs anywhere from 6-15 miles during practice!

“Success comes from hard work… the harder you work, the luckier you get,” McMahon said.

McMahon is feeling better about team relationships this year now that COVID protocols are pretty much gone.

“Last year, I would say even though they knew each other well, the protocols, the things we had to do at practice, really kind of stunted the development of them as a true team,” McMahon said.

Waters and his teammates are very close, he says. He and McMahon also have a good bond.

“I think our two personalities really compliment each other well when it comes to doing what the team needs,” Waters said.

McMahon is a lot of things to all of his players and his favorite part about coaching cross country is the interactions he gets to have. He gets to be their coach, an extra friend and sometimes parent, but also their drill sergeant.

“So, yea, I have to wear a lot of hats with them, but I would say the ultimate thing is for us to have a two-way respect,” McMahon said.

Water’s favorite part about doing cross country is the team atmosphere.

“It’s a great team to be a part of. I just really like the atmosphere that coach McMahon has created over the years and we wanted to carry that on while we’re still in high school,” Waters said.

Between the work being put in right now and getting back to normal this year, state is looking good for the boys cross country team.

“I wouldn’t say we feel any pressure, we know what we’re capable of so we’re just going to go out there and do it,” Waters said.