The Student News Site of Fremont High School

The Tiger's Eye

The Tiger's Eye

The Tiger's Eye

RainBow Six Siege

The New Season Brings Many Changes- Bad and Good

First-person shooter games will always be a big part of video game history. The gaming industry has made a huge profit off of this one category, and it is not surprising. The FPS category has a wide range of games, from slaying zombies, running through artillery fire, sniping someone from across the map, and even flying giant mechs. 

A well-known FPS has finally come out with an update after 3 months, and it has many cons and many pros. That game of course is Rainbow Six Siege. Rainbow Six Siege, or R6 for short, has been a hit first-person shooter game since 2016. One team must defend a bomb, while the other must defuse the explosive. Defenders get a 30-second prep phase to place down their gadgets and reinforce wood walls and hatches, while the attacking team must drone out their plan.

But here’s where things get interesting. Each side, Defending and Attacking, each has certain operators. Each operator has a unique ability to them. The defending Bandit can electrify metal walls, Rook can give armor to his teammates, Doc can heal his teammates and that’s only 3 out of 37 defending opps. On the attacking side, Ash can break wooden walls with her breach and rush in, Buck has a shotgun attached to his main gun, and Thatcher can disable all electronics and electricity with his EMP grenade.

With so many unique abilities and gun operators, there are countless strategies that they can possess. And a new update just came out, with tons of new stuff. The new season brings new sights on guns, attachments, and a new operator. There are many things I like about the new season.

For one thing, all attacking operators now have the a-CoG on most of their guns. A new grip allows the attackers to sprint faster and move more easily. With these two new things added, attackers have a better chance of not getting spawn-peeked.  Also, the developers are trying to make the game a little slower than what it already is in this season.

Some defenders have lost their 1x sights, unfortunately. Echo, Warden, Mozzie, Pulse, and Thorn had their sights replaced with the Hollow A sight. This was done to limit spawn peeking. However, there are two operators I think should get their 1x sights back. The major one is Echo, as his MP5SD is now basically useless.

Players now have to adapt to his shotgun loadout, as it has a decent amount of damage and range. Removing his sight makes no sense, as he is a camper. His ability is drones he can use to spot attackers and stop plants from happening. The second operator that I hope gets his sight back is Pulse. Pulse’s ability allows him to see people through walls, based on how close they are. The developers of R6 removed the 1x sight of his UMP45 because of “ Balancing “ reasons.  

Because of this, players have also needed to adapt to his shotgun. Although there are multiple updates and changes to the game, perhaps the biggest is the new operator, Demios. Demios has the ability to track a certain defender with his ability. This allows him to see where the opponent is at every step. However, the defender can see where Demios is at the entire time they are getting tracked. 

Deimos also packs something else new to Siege again. His new gun, the .44 Vendetta. Equipped with a one-time sight, this gun does 78 damage on Zoom and has no recoil. With Deimos on the battlefield, defenders will have to be more vigilant as they play. They need to be careful while roaming, otherwise they might get hunted down by Deimos. 

With these new changes and a new operator in play, Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege is going to have a different play style over the next few years. It will become more of a team effort, and rushing will soon fall off of benefit. Siege has lots of potential, and is already heading in a good direction. However, I wish more buffs would happen to the defending operators. This first chapter is a good start to this season, and I believe Siege can be a fun game once more.