FHS journalism staff recognized, receives Cornhusker

Fremont High School journalism students attended the Nebraska High School Press Association Fall Convention where the newspaper and yearbook staff were recognized for their 2022-2023 publications. 

The 2023 “Black and Gold” yearbook won a Cornhusker award, which is the highest award for journalistic excellence in high school publications in Nebraska.

When we first walked into the auditorium where the awards were being given out, I remember talking to Kenna about how nice it would be if we actually received a Cornhusker,” senior Katya Perez Alarcon, editor in chief of yearbook, said. “I was on the edge of my seat listening as they named off all the winners. When we heard ‘Black and Gold’, me and Kenna jumped. It was such an unreal feeling hearing our yearbook’s name being called out.

In addition to earning a Cornhusker, the yearbook also received a Golden Kernel award for the overall design.

Staff members of the 2022-2023 Black and Gold Yearbook and their adviser pose with the Cornhusker plaque. From left to right: Julissa Guerrero-Pena, Emmalei Huenniger, Katya Perez Alarcon, David Stevens (adviser), McKenna Getzschman, Sophia Turpitt (Ranae Duncan)

Other staff members felt surprised because they knew the award was the highest in Nebraska.

“I knew it was a great book, but yes I was surprised,” junior Emmalei Huenniger, the yearbook managing editor, said. “I was more nervous to get in front of people, but I was proud of us as a group.” 

Perez Alarcon was one of the three staff members who walked up on stage to accept the award in front of more than 600 other journalism students from 45 schools across the state.

“Walking up on the stage was kind of frightening at first just because there were so many different schools staring and cheering, but I think that’s when it all really soaked in,” Perez Alarcon said. “Receiving the award for our 2022-2023 yearbook made me feel proud. Not only was I proud for receiving this award but for all of Delaney’s and Whitney’s [2022-2023 Yb editors in chief] hard work that led up to that very moment.”

The 2022-2023 issues of the “Tiger’s Eye” news magazine earned a superior rating, which is the second highest ranking possible and designates that the publication demonstrates excellence in most areas of scholastic journalism production.

Members of the 2022-2023 staff pose with various issues of The Tiger’s Eye. From left to right: MJ Ideus, Jaime Ortega Castro, Cam Hart, Annabelle Bignell, Gryphon Smith, Will Baxa (David Stevens)

“I’m disappointed that we didn’t score higher, but the judges gave us really good critiques,” junior Annabelle Bignell, Tiger’s Eye editor in chief, said. “I think that with our new ideas and feedback, I think we can earn a Cornhusker next year.” 

After the award ceremony, student journalists attended a variety of sessions that focused on media topics like investigative journalism, sports photography, media use, etc.