The Student News Site of Fremont High School

The Tiger's Eye

The Tiger's Eye

The Tiger's Eye

How Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse changed the animated film industry forever

Upon release, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse was accepted across the world as one of the greatest animated films to release yet. Whether it is the animation style, relatability, or the general enjoyability of the movie, there is something there for anyone. 

Considering the wild success of the first movie, it can be assumed that Sony would need to up their game for the sequel–they did not disappoint. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse was loved by virtually everyone that went to see it. With tickets selling quick and theaters filling up quicker, the hype around this movie surely was real. 

Somehow, Across the Spider-Verse was able to improve upon almost everything its predecessor did right, with only a few bad apples to name. The number one worst aspect of this movie is one minuscule plot hole that exists. 

In a scene including Miles and Ganke, Ganke can be seen playing the upcoming Marvel’s Spider-Man 2. This may not be seen as an issue to most people; however, Spider-Man from the game can be seen as a character at another point in the movie. In all honesty, this is not a large issue considering this is clearly an easter egg and not meant to be taken literally.

Some other things about this movie have riled up some die-hard fans–Notably, the relationship between Miles and Gwen. In the first movie, there was very clear chemistry between the two characters; however, the writers seem to have changed that direction in the sequel. 

During a very popular scene, Miles and Gwen share a bonding moment together. It is clear that Miles wants to pursue a relationship with Gwen, but due to fear of something bad happening to either of them, she turns him away. For now, it seems that everyone will have to wait for the third movie to see their relationship flourish.

Image from Sony Studios

Out of all of the amazing things about this movie, the art and music take the throne. A huge selling point for this movie is the variation in art-styles they have for each spider-person. Every single universe that they hail from has a different style, thus, the spider-people do as well. 

Two characters are widely known for this–Spider-Punk and Spider-Man Noir. Noir has an old comic book and black and white stylization to fit with his darker theme. Spider-Punk has a cut-out, stamp and newspaper style to fit with his more intense and grungy theme. 

It is a great way to make people more attracted to the film as it is just one of those things that people will really enjoy. During some scenes, it can even be noted that the art will change based on emotions and what is happening in general. 

The greatest example comes from Gwen confronting her father. The watercolor style that her universe has begins to wash out as they hash it out. At the end they hug each other and everything becomes white. The execution is beautiful and invokes a huge amount of emotion in the viewer. 

The music is the absolute second greatest part about this movie. Every single piece of music that is played throughout the film is just fantastic. Composer Daniel Pemberton was somehow capable of improving upon the first film’s soundtrack and knocked it out of the park. 

Ranging from something as simple as ambiance to the masterpiece that is “Spider-Woman”, there is not anyone else apart from some of the greatest in the film industry who could do anywhere near as good of a job as Pemberton did.

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse is an absolute must watch. There is nothing about this film that should deter anybody as it perfectly caters itself to any audience no matter what they enjoy. Many things were not touched on here in order to spoil as little as possible, so if what is shown here is not convincing, the rest of the movie absolutely will.