The Student News Site of Fremont High School

The Tiger's Eye

The Tiger's Eye

The Tiger's Eye

AI: Effects on modern technology

This graphic was made by Generative AI in Illustrator and edited by Aidan Eberspacher.

Artificial Intelligence has slowly started to take over the world, and many people may not even realize that they already use it in their daily lives. 

When it comes to the possibilities and possible knowledge of A.I., learning how it works and the reasoning behind it is a major factor.

The birth of A.I. happened in the 1950’s, by Alan Turing, a mathematician of “Computer Machinery and Intelligence”  by publishing his work, experts used this information for it to become The Turing Test, which experts used to measure computer intelligence. The term “artificial intelligence” was coined and came into popular use. This lead up to changes in the workforce, businesses and robotics. 

“The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race, it would take off on its own, and re-design itself at an ever increasing rate. Stephen Hawking said in an interview about A.I. with BBC, in 2014. “Humans, who are limited by slow biological evolution, couldn’t compete, and would be suppressed,” 

With the new evolution of A.I., there are many reasons to love and many to hate, some being that A.I. has opened up a new world for creators in modern technology. For real life situations that may be hard for humans to complete AI may come in handy. But the real question is, one day will A.I. take over all humans, leaving us nothing?

“I think anybody making assumptions about the capabilities of A.I. capping out at some point are mistaken,” David Vandergrift, CTO and co-founder of 4Degrees, said. 

With companies like Apple, Microsoft and Windows, Amazon now spending billions of dollars on A.I. products and services, these companies say they would like to provide highly relevant search results for users worldwide, this then making the search process much more intuitive, and specific towards their users needs.

“By far, the greatest danger of Artificial Intelligence is that people conclude too early that they understand it,” Eliezer Yudkowksy, American computer scientist, said. 

Journalism is harnessing A.I. as well and will continue to benefit from it, but also could start to hurt from it. One example of a positive can be seen in The Associated Press’ use of Automated Insights, which produce thousands of earning report stories every year. But it can also be negatively used towards journalism to spread fake news written by robots. 

“Forget A.I. – in the brave new world of its big data, its artificial idiocy we should be looking out for” Tom Chatfield, a British writer, said. 

Artificial Intelligence and job loss statistics indicate that the worldwide economy could lose hundreds of millions of positions due to A.I. over the coming decades. Especially in industries where software skills are not a meaningful part of the job description. While there is  no agreed-upon research methodology or expected economic impacts, A.I. could take the jobs of as many as billions, which has already started here in the US. Amazon now has more than half a million robots to assist with stocking inventory, filling orders. and sorting packages for delivery. 

Amazon has also started automated stores that charge you as soon as you walk out the door, no interaction with a real person.

Many people say that while it will be interesting to see how society adapts to the changes of A.I., it also makes them nervous.

“Its going to be interesting to see how society deals with artificial intelligence, but it will definitely be cool,” Colin Angle, CEO of iRobot, said.

So while there are pros and cons to having A.I for journalism, the world may be better off without it, it all depends on the writer, and how true they want the information to be.