AI: Influence on our lives

This graphic was made by Generative AI in Illustrator and edited by Aidan Eberspacher.

Do you really believe we are living in the long-awaited future? Electric cars, smartphones, holograms and more. Today we can see many advances in technology, do you consider that this is the beginning of the new technological era?

When we talk about a new technological era, we can highlight the new invention of  Artificial Intelligence, as it has created a high impact both positive and negative on the entire world population. 

We can look around us and realize that AI is part of our daily lives. We unconsciously make use of AI, waking up and looking at our phone, traveling in our car, or simply autocorrecting in a text message. 

“I consider that Artificial Intelligence will never be able to reach the intelligence of the human being, even if it emerges in us, since the human mind is superior because it can reason, feel, or act according to their feelings,” Julio Padilla, a sophomore at Fremont High School said. 

A long time ago many people thought that AI would be a fantasy or a dream that would never come true, but now in our modern society, AI is used every single day. 

According to researches, the true meaning of AI has a complex definition. “AI is defined as machines or computer systems that think and emit reasoning emulating human intelligence to perform tasks that only people can perform, and as a computer system that is used to solve complex problems that exceed the capacity of the human brain.” 

For many people, this has created terror or panic. As false assumptions have been made about what may happen in the uncertain future, many people think that AI will take over or surpass human intelligence. 

“Intelligence can surpass the limits of human beings, such as getting to do tasks that have been cataloged exclusively for them,” Matthew Soderquist, an ELL teacher at Fremont High School. “Creating a society with low intelligence and efficiency is not a good look.” 

People often fail to see the positives behind it such as advancing science, cures for terminal illnesses, automating processes, reducing time, bringing accuracy and reducing human error.

AI can be for or against us depending on the use it is given, it has to serve as a tool, not as a dependency.