The Student News Site of Fremont High School

The Tiger's Eye

The Tiger's Eye

The Tiger's Eye

Marching to a superior

Juniors Alexis Frank, Krystal Calderon, and seniors Bethany Miller, Braeden Willnerd and Sara Ehlers pose with their Superior trophy. Photo from @fhstigersports on Twitter

The Fremont marching band is an award winning band. They’ve won Superior and Excellent awards at state competitions. This year was no different. The Fremont band achieved another Superior award for their performance at Kearney. 

Marching band season goes from May to October. Members go out in the summer heat to make the show happen. Band camp is when band members go to Heedum Field to practice and learn marching band basics. It is held Monday through Friday from 8 to 5. 

“It’s gonna be hard, you’re gonna sweat, you’re gonna get tired, but it just pays off and I think that everyone should join,” Elliot Engel, a 9th grader who plays bass clarinet, said. 

The marching band performs at Lincoln Public Schools Invitational Marching Band Competition and the NSBA State Competition, which are held by schools willing to host. In 2021, the Fremont band performed their show in Lincoln, receiving their first superior award in over twenty years. This inspired the band to carry on the tradition and achieve the same award in their 2022 show, Rain

Band members get up early in the morning to make it to practice by 7 a.m. By late September and early October, some mornings can be 30 degrees. They spend this time learning and practicing more of their show. Dedicated band members come after school at 6 p.m. to do runs of their show til 8 p.m.

Though marching band has its ups and downs, band kids stick together. 

“It’s like a small knitted sweater that your grandma makes you that’s really nice. It’s colorful, kinda ugly, but you know it’s great and you appreciate it,” Engel said. 

Band members strongly recommend people to join. 

“It’s made for everyone. There’s no specific person, no specific height, no specific weight you have to be, to be in Marching Band,” Engel said.

The marching band is excited about their next season and hopes to see many new faces in the band. Many friends are made throughout the season, because they spend so much time together. 

“We treat everyone like family. You don’t always get along with your family, you don’t always love your family, but they are still there for you, and they will always be there for you,” Engel said.