The Student News Site of Fremont High School

The Tiger's Eye

The Tiger's Eye

The Tiger's Eye

Little Mermaid Live Action Trailer Review

Disney has a history of remaking its animated classics into live-action movies. Live-action remakes of Cinderella, Jungle Book, etc, have already been successful. At D23, Disney finally revealed the teaser trailer for The Little Mermaid. As the camera pans open, we see fish, as well as sea turtles, swimming under the sea. Almost out of nowhere we see a beautiful tail, and shortly after we are shown, Ariel. In this Live action movie, Ariel is played by Halle Bailey, who is of African descent. With this Disney and the movie have gotten a lot of criticism, as Adults believe that Ariel shouldn’t be black. To me, this makes absolutely no sense as she is a fish, and in the original story, her race was never specified. I wish these people would have seen the videos I did of little girls of color watching this trailer and being amazed because It was a princess that finally looked like them. As a girl of color myself I remember when The Princess and the Frog came out in 2009. At that time I was 5 and I remember seeing the preview for the first time in the movie theater, I had the biggest smile on my face because Tiana looked like me. The people who are criticizing this are mostly white people, yet if roles were reversed (and they have been) for instance having an original black character and switching the race to white chances are they wouldn’t care then. The fact of the matter is this is a kid’s movie, and parents shouldn’t care about the race of a fish.