Changing Directions

Changing+Directions

Before I entered high school, I had no idea what to expect. I was told things like I’d lose friends, hit rock bottom, make great memories, go through the four years confused and mature a lot. I’d like to think that all of that happened.

Looking back on the past four years a lot has happened and changed. I was a confused immature 14-year-old when I first started, and now I can say I am way more independent, mature and on track.

Being stripped half of my high school years definitely took a toll on me, I’ve felt bored since the pandemic first approached. But, I’ve adapted and overcame that challenge, and I am so happy things are starting to look up.

For the most part, I’m super stoked about graduating finally. So many opportunities and independence is gained when you leave high school but there’s definitely a lot I’ll miss. Being able to see all my friends, school events/dances, teachers who made an impact on my journey, late summer nights with my friends and just the overall feeling of being a teen. Everyone says this, but it truly is such a bittersweet feeling. There’s so much I wish I could redo but I’ve learned that I can’t so I may as well try to strive better for my future.

I can definitely say that without friends’ school would’ve been awful. My friends have always been there for me, especially the newspaper staff. They’ve definitely seen my high’s and low’s but care for me no matter what.

As for what I plan to do after graduation, I will go to a community college for two years and transfer to university or just attend a four-year university. Either way a big goal of mine is to get my own place and be self-reliant. I plan on getting my PhD in biology, concentrating on forensic biology. I also hope to get more into cinematography and do independent projects. I also anticipate to be doing better mentally, stay in touch with friends, have healthy relationships and meet new people.

That’s the hope, but I have no clue what could happen. You can plan everything down to the last detail and an uncontrollable event could change your path. It’s all a big guessing game to me. But, these last four years have made me extremely capable of handling whatever life throws at me.

It’s insane how fast the last four years have gone by, but I am ready for the change and to move on. I am beyond excited to see what’s coming my way.