Celebrate Earth Day, Everyday

Sophomore+Joci+Blair+celebrates+Earth+Day+by+blowing+on+a+dandelion.+
Megan Rayl
Sophomore Joci Blair celebrates Earth Day by blowing on a dandelion.

From outer space, Earth looks like a majestic big, blue marble wrapped in swirls of atmospheric clouds.

From the average standpoint, Earth still holds that majestic beauty, with blue skies and vivid green grass. However, Earth is also often smothered in smoke and pollution which can also be seen by the average point of view. It is clear that human beings have treated the Earth as more of a dump, rather than a garden.

Earth Day is held on April 22nd of each year, but to many teachers and students in the community it should be celebrated every day of the year.

The first Earth Day was held in 1970 as a day to educate people on important environmental issues on Earth. It was initially created by Wisconsin Senator Gaylord

Nelson. Nelson was influenced by the anti-Vietnam War “teach-ins” that took place around U.S. college campuses at the time. According to Nelson, he envisioned a large-scale, grassroots environmental demonstration “to shake up the political establishment and force this issue onto the national agenda.”

Since then, celebrations for Earth Day have grown. In some communities the day celebration is continued for a week.

Science teacher Bailie Hansen finds the day to be very crucial for others to participate in.

“I think we are using way more of our resources than we should be. Eventually we are going to run out of materials. Maybe not in our lifetimes, but we are definitely affecting the lives of future generations,” Hansen said. “I also think that the way we are acquiring these resources is really affecting our planet.”

Hansen also mentioned that her family often takes measures on a daily basis to ensure that she is able to keep her community clean.

“We treat every day as a day to try and protect our planet. We recycle everything that we can and try to waste as little resources as possible.” Hansen said.

Senior Allison Ramirez, who is also the active president of Fremont High’s Key Club believes that everyone in her community should celebrate in one way or another because it’s important to keep the planet vital.

“This is the only planet that is able to provide all of the things we need in order to survive.” Ramirez said. “If we continue to take advantage of that, there won’t be a world left for us to live on.”

Ramirez also mentioned that being a part of Fremont High’s Key Club has helped her be able to go out and do helpful activities for her community.

“Some things I like to do are go out and plant stuff or help organizations in the Fremont Community with park/community clean-up days through our school’s Key Club.” Ramirez said. “Key Club has always been a helpful and easy organization that’s created plenty of opportunities for me and other students to go out and be involved in making our Fremont Community a better place.”

One thing that Earth Day does is forces humans to recognize the harm that they are capable of creating on the planet. Humans need to recognize why putting a foot forward in protecting the planet is important. There is only one Earth, protect it.