The Student News Site of Fremont High School

The Tiger's Eye

The Tiger's Eye

The Tiger's Eye

Movements In Black American History

Picture from History.com
Members of the Black Panthers and children give the Black Power salute in San Francisco, California in 1969.

Throughout history, many movements have been organized to achieve a common goal – equality for Black Americans. 

The Civil Rights Movement recognized the injustice concerning Black Americans’ rights in a way that hadn’t quite been seen before and ended in many milestones being achieved, but the battle for equality remained un-won. 

During the Civil Rights Movement, many separate movements were held that came together to make the Civil Rights Movement what it is today. Some of these movements included The March on Washington, The Nashville Student Movement, The Albany Movement and The Chicago Freedom Movement.

Around 1965, many Black Americans agreed that focusing on their lack of power in economic, social and political branches was significanct. With this, and the assassination of Malcolm X, came the rise of the Black Power Movement. This movement empowered Black Americans and other groups that faced discrimination to embrace their identity and show pride in their origins.  

The Dodge Revolutionary Union Movement sparked from the Black Power Movement, when black workers in Detroit were discontent with their pay and workload.

On multiple occasions thousands of workers went on strike, causing shutdowns that lasted for days. Awareness and inspiration was spread about black workers, and in time, the company hired Black Americans for leadership positions.

The Black Arts Movement happened around the same time as the Black Power Movement. It encouraged work from Black artists and had the greatest impacts in poetry and theater. Black newspapers, new art, hip-hop inspiration, theater groups and more Black representation were some of the results that came from this movement. 

The ‘Black Lives Matter’ movement began around 2013, but coincided with the 2020-2021 George Floyd Protests, making it more known. Millions of people came together to fight for equality and against police brutality. The protests caused changes in companies, organizations, departments and more. Those impacts continue to ripple throughout America today.