Book Review: Weather Girl by Rachel Lynn Solomon

Goodreads

If you’re looking to pick up a new fun-filled book, look no further than Weather Girl by Rachel Lynn Solomon. The book is a romantic comedy that was recently released on January 11, 2022.

The story follows Arielle “Ari” Abrams who is a meteorologist for the local weather station in Seattle, Washington. She teams up with Russell Barringer, the sportswriter, to bring their bosses back together and restore peace to the office once again. A previously married Torrance and Seth Hale have created drama in the workplace ever since they separated, and when Torrance throws one of Seth’s Emmys out the window of a hotel at a holiday work party, Ari and Russell decide they have to do something.

Ari navigates her depression, a broken arm and crush on Russell to hatch a brilliant plan to put the Hales in a position to fall back in love. Some parts of the plan involve a swing dance night, couples massage and a three-hour dinner cruise. Russell and Ari end up falling in love during the course of executing the plan.

Weather Girl is a cute book that involves a lot of funny mishaps and romantic situations. It was a typical new adult novel, with basic writing and a predictable plot. If you are in the mood for a light romance book then this one’s for you. This wasn’t the best book I have ever read; I would give it a two out of five stars. It wasn’t bad but it wasn’t necessarily good; I was frustrated by Ari at some points because of her refusal to communicate with anyone else, and some scenes just felt like they were thrown in the book to add length. 

Compared to another book I’ve read by Solomon, Today Tonight Tomorrow, I thought that this one was the lesser of the two. While both are romance books, Today Tonight Tomorrow had more of a fun quality to it with the main characters competing against each other in a large scavenger hunt. It was also a young adult novel that involved teenagers, so I could relate to it more than Weather Girl, which is probably why I liked this one less.